During Arab rule Noto functioned as a ‘capovallo,’ that is, an administrative center of reference (in Arabic waal or wali), hence Vallo or Val di Noto. The eight cities that are part of the site, Caltagirone, Militello Val di Catania, Catania, Modica, Noto, Palazzolo, Ragusa, and Scicli, are located in southeastern Sicily. All were rebuilt after the terrible earthquake of 1693, which literally razed entire towns to the ground, completely devastating the urban memory of the area. The current face of this area of the Island is thus the result of a reconstruction of towns thought of as works of art, masterpieces of late Baroque architecture of the 17th century.
The stay: Beautiful historic houses in the countryside of Val Di Noto
The Learn: You will learn how to use your hands and appreciate the importance of dexterity and time. When you create an object from scratch – using raw materials and your hands and creativity – you understand that quality can only be obtained with time and attention to detail. You will value objects based on their quality. During your stay, you will go with the artisan to visit a beautiful example of Roman Mosaic, Villa del Tellaro and Villa Romana del Casale. It is a beautiful way to learn the history behind your manual learning.
- 5 day mosaic workshop.
- 3 daily hours of activity will take place outdoors or indoor if weather is do not allow.
- Our talented artisan will introduce you to the technique of Mosaic Romano.
The package includes:
- 5 nights’ accommodation
- Breakfast and Lunch
- 5 day mosaic workshop – 3 daily hours workshop
- Entrances at the Villa del Tellaro and Villa Del Casale
- Guide at the Villa del Casale
- Transportation to Villa del Tellaro and Villa del Casale
- Can include additional workshops if required e.g. embroidery
- The course will be personalized upon the level of the participants
- Workshops can be adapted for children
- Transportation can be arranged if required
- Available all year round
Price From Euro: 1880.00 per person – each quote will be personalized upon the wishes and needs of the participants
Starting dates on request