Travel: Everyone knows about the ceramics of Caltagirone, but very few know about this pretty city which was made famous by the production of ceramics. Caltagirone is a city with three names and an ancient history dating back to the time of Magna Graecia. From the proud peasant village called Noma, mentioned by Thucydides, Polybius and Cicero, to the Norman Swabian hamlet of Santo Stefano di Mistretta. In 1101, there was a terrible landslide that destroyed the urban agglomeration. Thanks to the generosity of Don Giuseppe Lanza Barresi, the duke of Camastra who made his land available, he drew himself the plan of a new village. Taking inspiration from Versailles, the urban plan takes the form of a square within which there is a rhombus and two diagonals. In 1812 in honour of the duke, the town’s name was changed to Santo Stefano di Camastra.
The stay: An incredible historical location where you can breathe in the history behind the ceramics of the territory.
The Learn: You will learn how to use your hands and appreciate the importance of dexterity and time. When you create an object from scratch, using raw materials, your hands and creativity, you understand that quality can only be obtained with time and attention to detail. You will value objects based on their quality.
The ceramics workshop will take place in the laboratory of the artisan, who will teach you how to model and decorate ceramics.
- 5 days of ceramic workshops in a ceramics laboratory.
- 3 daily hours of activity in the artisan’s laboratory, on alternate mornings and afternoons.
- Our talented artisan will introduce you to the beautiful world of the modelling and decorating of ceramics.
We can’t wait to meet you and invite you into our world of creativity and learning with our Retreat with Artisans in Umbria.
The package includes:
- 5 nights’ accommodation .
- 5 days of ceramics workshops – 3 daily hours of workshop to take place on alternate mornings and afternoons in the artisan’s laboratory.
- 1 half-day visit to the different ateliers in Santo Stefano di Camastra and the beautiful Museum of Ceramics.
- Upon request, it is possible to combine another workshop in Sicily, such as Bobbin lace course, Eco-art and jewellery making course.
- The course will be personalised upon the level of the participants.
- The workshop can be adapted for children.
- Transportation can be arranged if required.
- Maximum 10 participants.
Price: From Euro: from Euro 1300,00 per person – each request will be personalized upon the needs and wish of participants
Starting dates on request